"Anyone can give up, it;s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you feel apart... Thats true strength."

Monday, May 16, 2011

Why I'm Here

I decided to start blogging as I go through this new diagnosis of Chiari Malformation and the treatment. I am scheduled for a type of brain surgery that is called Posterior fossa decompression. This will better explain the surgery:

The operation to decompress the lower brain stem
and cerebellum will require a general anaesthetic.
Hair over the occiput will be shaved and the patient is
positioned on their stomach giving access to the back
of the skull and neck. An incision is then made in the
midline of the neck to expose the skull and neck
bones covering the brain stem and cerebellum.
Careful removal of a window of bone at the base of
the skull is then performed using a high speed drill.
A laminectomy of the upper 2-3 cervical spine
vertebrae may also be performed. The bone removed
is not replaced, leaving a spacious cavity.
Frequently the lining of the brain and spinal cord
(dura) is then opened allowing further decompression.
A graft is then stitched into place. This graft may be
synthetic or may be taken from the patient’s own thigh
via a separate incision. The wound is then stitched
together and the patient is awoken. The procedure
takes around 4-5 hours to perform. Postoperative
wound pain is an issue but is easily treatable.

This is going ot be a crazy week for me so ill update as I go. Later today ill post my MRI images and what lead me to seek testing, including my symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment